The United Kingdom has left the EU.
How to register a Plant Protection Product in the UK after 30/12/2020 ?
Last update: 21 Apr 2021
This is an outline and the situation may evolve quickly. Please consult the pesticide web pages of the HSE for the source information.
The EU has left its mark on UK requirements for pesticide registration that may last for some time. On the other hand, the UK had already specific national requirements for risk assessment before the Brexit.
The Brexit and Northern Ireland Protocol means that the requirements may evolve differently in the EU, GB and NI.
What has already changed?
- Expiry dates of active substances in GB,
- Separate applications for active substance approval and renewal in GB, You may need to re-apply now.
- EU-specific procedures such as Mutual recognition and zonal assessment do not apply to GB anymore,
- GB has transcribed EU law into its own legislation for pesticide registration, and it may now evolve independently,
- In GB, Maximum Residue Limits can diverge from EU and NI at any time.
Did the requirements really change?
At this date (April 2021), the data requirements and PPP risk assessment requirements are very similar if not identical to pre-Brexit requirements. This may evolve at any time either in GB, NI, or UK as a whole depending on GB law, EU law and risk assessment guidelines.
The Northern Ireland protocol : consequences for pesticide registration.
The UK has specific guidelines for PPP risk assessment that continue to apply in NI.
What can ENC help you with?
- to register, access or renew your active substance in GB and/or EU+NI,
- to assess the feasibility of your dossier,
- to produce or gather sufficient data to register your product in UK and/or NI (data gap analysis and study monitoring),
- to reach you the specificity of the UK risk assessment (formation),
- to determine if the risk assessment of your PPP is deemed to succeed (preliminary risk assessment),
- to write your PPP dossier (risk assessment, dRR writing, administrative forms),
- follow-up after submission.